Tuesday, January 15, 2008

WTF?

There has been much already said regarding February's issue of Playboy. I can't help but think that Playboy is making an attempt to draw in the comic book geeks of the world with this issue. I agree that Tiffany Fallon is not the best representation of Wonder Woman and I had never heard of her before this issue. Does she even know Lynda Carter or what Wonder Woman stood for? I also agree that this use of the image is transforming or equating Wonder Woman with sexuality. It seems our society can't handle a non-sexualized superhero. Dwight from The Office knows what a stripper looks like since Jennifer Garner used it as one of her many aliases. Even Kim Possible bared her mid drift. I also bet that there is some sort of "enhanced sexuality makes me feel powerful" message within the issue too. But what is this power? I'm tired of women relating sex appeal to confidence. As if the only way I can be confident is if I install a stripper pole in my bedroom.

What I find very disturbing about this issue is that her "costume" is painted on. We have reached the point in our society where clothes don't do it for us any longer and thus we need to paint women, so we can see all that we need to see. So that nothing is left but the stripper shoes. Why wear actual clothing when paint will do? Will this be the Halloween trend of the future?

No comments: