Thursday, January 17, 2008

BTT

How much do reviews (good and bad) affect your choice of reading? If you see a bad review of a book you wanted to read, do you still read it? If you see a good review of a book you’re sure you won’t like, do you change your mind and give the book a try?

Generally I don't like to read book reviews because I don't want another's opinion to affect how I read a book. However, I have found a lot of good books through looking at book reviews. I mainly skim the review and gather bits and pieces from the titles to see if I'm interested. I've had plenty of experiences where I have read a book and hated it only to see many people rave about it. One example was Eat, Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert.

2 comments:

Netter said...

If I know the person who gave the bad review...and know how our reading tastes related to one another, I might take it into account, but probably not. I've loved stuff that people can't stand.

You know, I know someone that loved the E.G book too and I knew I would hate it. We never agree on anything.

Idaho Gal said...

I will however see the Eat, Pray, Love movie when it comes out. Well, only if someone interesting plays Elizabeth.