Thursday, January 10, 2008

I'm old

This prep class for the LSAT is driving me nuts. Its not so much the material but more so the organization of the course. The lessons are at 7pm Eastern time which translates to 5pm Central so I've had to rework my work schedule to get off at 5 and yet I'm still about 20 minutes late to each lesson. I can't imagine what it would be like for someone living in Pacific time zone and working full time. Yes there is the option of re watching the lesson but its not the same as actively participating in the live lesson. There are two things that have just bugged the shit out of me so far: 1) the fact that I am not able to directly contact the instructors via e-mail. Instead I am able to correspond with an anonymous person who isn't familiar with my progress. and 2) that office hours are during the day. Actually they were between 1 and 2 yesterday which is when I'm at work. Imagine that, people actually work! So I e-mailed my issues off and was given the computer e-mail address and told that the office hours are set by the needs of the students. To which I asked when these needs were asked of us. I haven't been asked of my office hour preferences.

The whole thing made me realize that I'm old. I'm not young, in college and have time to waste or be that flexible. I don't have the option of fitting in office hours between political science 101 and political science 102. It frustrates me because I find it hard to believe that I'm the only person working full time in this course, although maybe I am. Its also nerving because I'm paying for a service that I'm unable to use because of work. I just wish they would understand this and thus be more accommodating to those living on the West coast.

1 comment:

saraeanderson said...

My husband just went through this process recently (he's starting his second semester at UI law right now), and came away really disappointed about how the application process works to reward people for having lots of resources at their disposal (Sure! I'll take a $2500 LSAT study course! In all of my free time since I'm living rent-free in my parents' yacht!), and doesn't put very much emphasis on actual hard work. That turned out to be to his advantage, since he's awesome at taking standardized tests (the yacht not so much) and wasn't an incredibly serious undergraduate. Still, it's really disappointing.