Thursday, February 28, 2008

BTT: Heroine

Who is your favorite female lead character? And why? (And yes, of course, you can name more than one . . . I always have trouble narrowing down these things to one name, why should I force you to?)


The first one that comes to mind is Anne, of Anne of Green Gables. I loved her as a child and still do as an adult. Her adventures and challenges are wonderful to follow. She is strong, confident, loving, hard working and sincere, traits any good role model for young girls should have. Another lead is Sophie Amundsen in Sophie's World by Jostein Gaardner. She is also curious and smart in her adventures through the history of philosophy. She best reminds me of Alice from Alice in Wonderland. I would list Alice but I have never read the book and it would be poor form to list book-to-movie characters, not to mention pure laziness.

I'm currently reading Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy and Tess definitely stands out as a lead female character, however I wouldn't say just yet that she is a favorite. I'm finding that it is quite a depressing novel.

2 comments:

softdrink said...

I just listed Anne, too. I think she's going to be a crowd favorite.

I've tried twice to finish Sophie's World. I think because I had a bad philosophy class in college that I've got a mental block when it comes to this book. That's my excuse, anyways.

trish said...

Ya know, for some reason I couldn't get very far in Sophie's World. My friend said I should skip the philosophy parts and just read about Sophie. Maybe someday. :-)