Thursday, February 14, 2008

BTT: After the Honeymoon

Have you ever fallen out of love with a favorite author? Was the last book you read by the author so bad, you broke up with them and haven’t read their work since? Could they ever lure you back?


Hmmm......this one took me some time, of which I do not have since I'm playing floral designer today. I would have to say that I hated Jhumpa Lahiri's The Namesake but loved Interpreter of Maladies. I am now reluctant to pick up anything new from her. Toni Morrison also fits the bill for me as I have loved some of her work but thought "blah" of some of it too. Morrison usually lures me back. Jeannette Winterson is one author I have never been sick of, even though it takes some time to read her work. I think her style is what I look forward to. Gabriel Garcia Marquez is another author I'm glad I still love.

2 comments:

Litigious Mind said...

I fall out of love with romance authors ALL THE TIME. I can't figure out if their writing is getting exponentially worse or if my standards are getting much higher.

Anonymous said...

Lahiri has another collection of stories coming out April 1st, so since you loved Interpreter of Maladies, you may want to give her another look. The Namesake is her only novel. I liked it but agree that Interpreter of Maladies was better. I think she is the master of the short story format.