Friday, June 6, 2008

Sexing the Cherry

I have wanted to read this book for years. I bought it in 2000 after reading Winterson's The Passion, which I love. However, I don't get Sexing the Cherry. I read it carefully, as I do with all of Winterson's writing, because she tends to hide themes and play with words. Her style fascinates and challenges me as a reader. But as I finished this one I felt empty. I suppose this is ok since I'm not bound to enjoy every book I read, but after seeing this book on the 1001 books you should read before death I couldn't help but be disappointed. The story is somewhat post-modern, with aspects of magical realism however I wouldn't label it that. Oh well, at least it's off my To Be Read in 2008 list.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of the first time I read Beloved by Toni Morrison.
Everyone said it was a great a book but I hated the ending and hated the style and found it depressing.

Then I read the book twice for school and again for a book club. It is rare for me to read a book more than once and I probably skimmed it the last time I read it. However, I now like the book.