Thursday, June 12, 2008

BTT: Clubbing

A combo of two suggestions by: Heidi and by litlove

Have you ever been a member of a book club? How did your group choose (ot, if you haven’t been, what do you think is the best way to choose) the next book and who would lead discussion?

Do you feel more or less likely to appreciate books if you are obliged to read them for book groups rather than choosing them of your own free will? Does knowing they are going to be read as part of a group affect the reading experience?


I have never been a member of a book club. I just don't have the time for one. I also think I'm too selfish since I tend to read books I like and frequently pause my reading or switch when a book is getting boring. (I find that my reading moods change often.) I do however enjoy discussing books with others as I often find different insights and perspectives. One aspect of book clubs that deters me is the idea that the group is telling me how to feel about a book. I'm not interested in , for example, Oprah telling me the reasons why I should relish her latest book choice.
I don't think I would appreciate books if I was obliged to read them. I'm thinking about my English courses in college and how I loathed having to read certain books because they were required. I'd much rather read a book because I wanted to as it makes reading it more enjoyable.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Selfish? No way. Reading is very personal. I prefer it that way too.

Booking through clubbing

Lisa (Southern Girl Reads) said...

I don't think book clubs are for everybody. I've never been in one but I'd like to try at least once. But I would feel bad if I joined, then realized I didn't like it and wanted to drop out.

(M)ary said...

I LOOOOVVVEEE book clubs! Honestly, the best book clubs are more about the clubbiness than the books. I say that as an absolute book lover. I have a PILE of books that I am reading or about to read. I don't join a book club for the reading as much as the socialness.

When I read for a book club, I read for "talking points". This sounds dry and kind of cheesy but when I read for a book club, I really am trying to find parts of the book I want to talk about...that is the priority.

John (@bookdreamer) said...

Sounds sensible not selfish!
My his he being serious post!