Thursday, June 26, 2008

BTT: Definition

What, in your opinion, is the definition of a “reader.” A person who indiscriminately reads everything in sight? A person who reads BOOKS? A person who reads, period, no matter what it is? … Or, more specific? Like the specific person who’s reading something you wrote?


For some reason I feel like this was recently a topic. Oh well. I define a reader as someone who reads for pleasure or enjoyment. While we may all read on a daily basis, whether it's the newspaper, work, e-mail, etc I don't necessarily believe that we are reading because we desire to. So a smidgen of desire is worked into my definition. While I have no children of my own there are many in life. I'm always reading with them and they know that we have to read for at least five minutes without interruptions. Reading is a skill on its way to becoming a reader.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree. Desire to read is necessary to count as a reader. And are the emails any different than the phone calls that they replaced?

bethany (dreadlock girl) said...

I really like the last sentence you wrote: reading on the way to becoming a reader. that is just perfect!

happy BTT!!

Idaho Gal said...

Thanks Bethany!

And e-mail is no different than the phone calls they've replaced in my mind.

SmilingSally said...

Your final sentence says it all. It is a skill, one that we have used enough so that we benefit.

Anonymous said...

I had that same haven't we done this before thought. I think it was the question about what is reading...books, magazines, audiobooks, comics...