Thursday, May 15, 2008

BTT: Manual Labor Redux

Following up last week’s question about reading writing/grammar guides, this week, we’re expanding the question….

Scenario: You’ve just bought some complicated gadget home . . . do you read the accompanying documentation? Or not?

Do you ever read manuals?

How-to books?

Self-help guides?

Anything at all?

Of course I skim the manual, but not read it top to bottom. I keep the manuals in a file drawer, something most people don't do. I have read my car's maintenance manual so I am aware on how to maintain my car. I enjoy reading a lot of how-to books on organizing the house, and life in general. I am always looking for more time in the day to do some annoying chore and sometimes find the tips in how-to guides helpful.

In terms of self-help guides I read them occasionally. I believe it is important to check in with yourself every now and then and see if you're living according to your morals and important character traits. I have to remind myself that I don't want to live a negative life and sometimes self-help books can help put you back on track. I also find that some self-help books can help you strengthen your problem solving and communication styles.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I need the car manual just to change the time on the dashboard clock. Going any further than that is definitely a case for the experts in this household.

Megan said...

I like how you said "check in with yourself"! I totally agree with that.
Nice post.

Anonymous said...

I keep the manuals in the filing cabinet, too...it's just that mine are unread. :-D