Thursday, May 22, 2008

Books v. Movies

Books and films both tell stories, but what we want from a book can be different from what we want from a movie. Is this true for you? If so, what’s the difference between a book and a movie?


I have a really good example for this question. I have purposefully not watched the movie Atonement because I am waiting to read the book. (Attn: L and J--where's the book?!) I'm usually drawn into the characters more if I read a book. I tend to empathize more as well. It's been a goal of mine to try to read the book version before seeing the movie for at least the last year. So far I'm doing pretty well, that is unless I have no interest in the book and just want to relax via a movie. The Kite Runner is next on Netflix. Even though I somewhat enjoyed the book I think I won't enjoy the movie--just a feeling I have.

One of the movies where I think they got it right was the PBS version of Anne of Green Gables. I love it almost as much as I love the book. So I guess they can get them right sometimes.

On a side note, what I don't like is how Hollywood is now quick to make any good book or bestseller into a movie. If I see a bestseller these days I often ask myself whether I should read it now or put it off. If I put it off too long then there's a movie version. I suppose I'll just have to work harder at disciplining myself on reading the book first!

No comments: