Thursday, March 6, 2008

BTT Hero

You should have seen this one coming … Who is your favorite Male lead character?

Hmm....I'll admit that if I read fiction it usually has lead female characters for me or that the men don't stand out. I had to resort back to my library for some responses. So, I suppose these aren't truly favorite characters, but enjoyable male characters. One of the more recent characters is Amir in The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. I liked his internal struggle, his humanity, and adult thought process. It was a worthwhile read. I have always liked Old Jules by Mari Sandoz. Jules, her father, is such an asshole but he reminds me of my own father--so I could relate to the character. In fact, anyone with a conflicted father-daughter relationship might be able to relate.

I found fascinating the unnamed narrator in Memoirs of My Melancholy Whores by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. The short novel starts out,
"The year I turned ninety, I wanted to give myself the gift of a night of wild love with an adolescent virgin." How is this not interesting! He is one of the least engaging first-person narrators I've ever encountered. He's insipid and silly and has spent much of his life, as well as his modest nest egg, frequenting prostitutes. What are we to make of this lifelong bachelor who's never been in love and who actually likes to pay for sex? He comes off as a typical dirty old man and leering pedophile who now wants to call his friendly madam to request a young virgin over whom he can exert complete mastery. Of course, almost any type of person can be made interesting in a work of fiction, no matter how weird or banal or repellent he might seem at first glance.

And, I've enjoyed the life of Harry Potter. I don't think I have to say much about his character as it is known worldwide.

9 comments:

joanna said...

ooh, I forgot Amir - I agree with you, he was a great character.

Now I have to go and read Memoirs of My Melancholy Whores, what a brilliant first sentence! ;-)

Anonymous said...

The Kite Runner is on my list of to-get books - I keep hearing great things about it.

And I 100% agree with you about Memoirs of My Melancholy Whores - you want to dislike him, but somehow you finish the book anyway.

Anonymous said...

I agree about Amir. And Marquez's character always leave strong impact.

Here is my BTT post!

trish said...

Well now that you've mentioned Harry Potter, what about Dumbledore? He was one of my favorite characters...and come to think of it, Snape did stay true to his word...

Anonymous said...

I found this much more difficult as well. Eventually I went for a character from harry Potter, but not the one you mention.

Maree said...

Oh ... I have Memoirs of My Melancholy Whores (great title) but I haven't read it yet! This was a tricky question!

Julia said...

I have not yet read The Kite Runner, but that would be soon.

Great list, Happy BTTs!

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

I had trouble with this one, too. Amir's a neat idea. So is the Garcia Marquez character. I had that book on my wishlist for while, but now I can't remember if it's still there or not...

Idaho Gal said...

Trish,

I don't know why I didn't list Dumbledore. He's worth a mention in this case too.