Thursday, March 20, 2008

BTT: The End

You’ve just reached the end of a book . . . what do you do now? Savor and muse over the book? Dive right into the next one? Go take the dog for a walk, the kids to the park, before even thinking about the next book you’re going to read? What?

(Obviously, there can be more than one answer, here–a book with a cliff-hanger is going to engender different reactions than a serene, stand-alone, but you get the idea!)


What I do after a book ends depends on the book. If it's nonfiction I usually think about whether or not I would recommend the book to others. Sometimes I will summarize the ideas to Farmer Ted which helps me understand how I felt about the material. If it's a super good book, fiction or non-fiction, it usually takes me awhile to choose another book to read. There have been times where I have felt that reading any book following a book I really enjoyed has left me with below average feelings on that "following" book. I couldn't read for a week after I finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and it took me awhile to decide a book after America is in the Heart by Carlos Bulosan. I know it's not fair in some aspects to compare books but there is just something that lingers over into the next book at times that I'm not too comfortable with. Of course this doesn't happen often but enough that I thought I would mention it.
I read a lot of predictable books and I read a lot in bed. I also read more than one book at once and it is usually a combination of non-fiction with fiction. When this happens I can honestly say that I turn over and go to sleep. When I wake up I take a moment to think about the book before I put it back on the shelf and cross the title out on my 50 Books for 2008 list. I have respect for writers and like to think that I spend time reflecting on the style, plot and my interaction with the themes. I have had too many moments with people who say they have read a book but cannot tell you their thoughts on it. This peeves me and makes me question whether they really have read it or are just claiming to have due to the prestige of reading. I'm thinking of academics and English majors, some who think they're better than everyone else and the sole reason why books are published in the first place.

I have finished five books in the last two weeks. Here is what I did upon completing them:

America is in the Heart by Carlos Bulosan: Spent some time discussing how amazing Bulosan's journey was with family and friends. I enjoyed this book enough to be able to discuss it with my conservative father. Bulosan spent time working through eastern Washington, the area I grew up in and where my family still lives. When I was finished I spent about a day thinking about what would be best to read after such a great read. I decided on Dream When You're Feeling Blue by Elizabeth Berg, a book a friend loaned me to read.

The Pirates! In an Adventure with the Scientists by Gideon Defoe: I read this during silent reading at school. This series reads fast and is laugh out loud funny. When I finished it I ordered their adventure with whaling. I finished it in class and felt good the rest of the day. I love it when a book does that for you!

Yakuza Moon: Memoirs of a Gangster's Daughter by Shoko Tendo: Easy memoir to read through however afterward I felt a lot was lost in the translation. When I was done I picked up my non-fiction book and continued reading it. This meant that I didn't have too much to reflect upon finishing the book.

Sex with Kings by Eleanor Herman: Nice non-fiction. A little too organized in a manner I wasn't fond of but the information was great. I finished it the same night as Yakuza Moon and then went to sleep.

Dream When You're Feeling Blue by Elizabeth Berg: A nice easy WWII story that a friend wanted me to read. I usually don't read this type of fiction but I will read books friends loan me. Since she wants it back I felt obligated to read it so I could give her my opinion on it. Upon finishing it I turned to Farmer Ted and said, "this is an easy peasy nice and pleasy read" and went to sleep.

Today I will decide what to pick up next for my non-fiction and fiction book. I usually don't do that on the same day.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the boo info! I will pick out one or two! Sounds good to me!

Booking upto ending

Smirking Cat said...

I always have a few books on stand-by, so when I finish one, I generally grab the next one and get started. I love to read! I like when a book is so good, and I've gotten so into it, that I feel sad when I reach the last page!

Sya said...

I understand why it may be unfair to a book that is read following a great book. However, sometimes I do it deliberately by reading similar books all at once. I guess I like doing comparisons--how authors have different approaches to the same topic, how some may have better executions than others. But then again, I also write and sometimes get into this analytical mode...

Anonymous said...

If I have a fiction book that i think is going to linger then I usually move on to non-fiction, probably letters or journals. That seems to do the trick for me.

Chrisbookarama said...

What a well thought out answer!