Thursday, July 3, 2008

I think it was time.

I gave up on a friend today. It was very hard to do but I felt that I just had to let go. The number was deleted from my phone. An e-mail was sent.

I keep telling myself that it's okay to let go of friends. It wasn't a bad argument or anything. I just think it was time to exit stage right. I feel horrible. Not a good way to start a holiday. Not to mention I've got to go and get two shots in an hour, one of which is a tetanus shot which hurts like hell. Not going to be a fun day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

did you specifically say to the friend: "this is over"??

i had a 12 year friendship which i gave up on about 5 years ago. i was desperate to know how to handle it but hardly anyone seemed to have advice. ending or starting a romantic relationship: loads of advice. it hurt to realize the friendship was over after 12 years. honestly, i should have given up earlier.

i just let it fade away, didn't return a call, then moved.

i felt like if i even explained myself that was staying in the relationship and since i had not been getting the same level of friendship for a while i didn't even feel like explaining myself.

on the other hand, some people would say it is rude to end a friendship with silence.

Idaho Gal said...

In so many words yes. I sent an e-mail explaining that I couldn't keep putting effort into our friendship without hearing anything in return. It doesn't help that I am also moving. I thought the fact that I'm moving would have improved things but I guess I was wrong.